Author Topic: Unused Bowling Green  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
Unused Bowling Green
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:10 AM »
With the kind permission of the management the unused bowling green is now in use as a Walking Football pitch.
3 years ago this once beautifully grassed arena suffered from an unknown scource of decay which put it out of action.

On sunday morning a match took place between the Seizure Stoppers and The Coffin Dodgers.
We were all surprised by the number of spectators who turned up and amount of interest shown.

Without doubt the event was a total success and speaking to a group of bowlers afterwards, who had been playing a match on the adjoining green, it was very pleasing to hear that the noise and activity created did not intrude on their game. "We actually stopped playing bowls momentarilly to laugh at the antics of the footballers" one lady bowler commented.

The match ended 5 - 1 to Seizure stoppers.

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
Re: Unused Bowling Green
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
I thought it was a brilliant day & the word will soon spread how much fun it was & we might get a good crowd for next week. People might even stop at the bar afterwards & have a drink & even smell that Sunday lunch cooking & have some of that which can only be good news. As for the bowlers I think we are far enough away from them to not cause any problems, I did notice yesterday that even when the ball was kicked out of play it didn't venture anywhere near the bowling green & as long as we keep it that way there shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:28:10 PM by chiccomallo »
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
Having chatted
to various people about the football, the general comment was too many players.
Why not limit the number of players to five a side, and have maybe a mini knockout competition to fill a whole morning.
After last Sunday I'm sure there are more people wanting to play!

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
I thought there were too many people as well, its very difficult to take a good photo with that many folks running around. Perhaps they could have 2 games lasting 30mins & then everyone will get a little go.
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
Yes you're both quite right about there being too many players but this was the first game and we were all on a steep learning curve. Team sizes and rules of the game need to be discussed.
It is hoped that more players will come and join us.
After all, its an activity set up to encourage people to improve their health with outdoor exercise and at the same time have lots of fun and enjoyment..

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:11 PM »
Well PK I'm in next time!

Offline walkzuk

• View Profile
    • www.walkz.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
How the hell do you tackle someone with a zimmer frame?!
'Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you without asking. If he does not, why humiliate him?'"

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Well PK I'm in next time!

After several attemps at trying to get Stingkong to honour his statement we have still not had the pleasure of witnessing his skills on the pitch up to now. :-\

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
Sorry Peter, but bowls takes preference at the moment, plus having heard about injuries players have suffered, I have enough physical problems without adding to them!