Author Topic: Talking about Planes  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
Talking about Planes
« on: September 28, 2014, 08:55:05 AM »
This Sunday morning laying in bed watching last weeks episode of countryfile where archeologists were searching Dartmoor for RAF planes that had come down during WW2 reminded me of my own experience in the 1980s. I belonged to a group of dedicated fell walkers, we were tramping over the peak district of derbyshire sinking up to our knees in wet peat.
Our mission during that weekend was to find aircraft casualties of the RAF during the same World War Two.
Most of them had been previously found and catalogued, giving the name of the aircraft and number of crew. However their position on the windswept moors was just an eight figure grid reference and the terrain was very undulating therefore compass work had to be very accurate in finding what remained of the wreckage. Sometimes an engine or wheel axle was all that was left. Most of the light parts and weaponary had been removed a long time ago. However I did find in the wet peat a soggy and blackened leather glove. I remember our small group of six standing in a circle looking at this peice of personal kit, each with our own thoughts of the young airman who had owned it, wondering about his last mission over Germany, the plane taking hits from shrapnel of air burst shells and struggling back to base in Lincolnshire but never quite getting there.
In total we found the remains of four downed aircraft that weekend, one of them a lancaster bomber had a small memorial constructed on the cliff face of a deep ravine giving further details of its crew and squadron. All the wrecks are to this day declared as war graves sites.

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
Re: Talking about Planes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
It makes me sick that these brave & courageous men gave up their lives to save us & now people are scared to walk the streets at night in the UK  !
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

Offline walkzuk

• View Profile
    • www.walkz.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »
Whilst training towards my mountain leader assessment we used the peak district crash sites to hone up our navigation skills.
I always thought the big crash site you mention at Higher Shelf Stones(didn't take a lot of finding) was for an Enola Gay type aircraft but I was wrongly informed. Some interesting photos of the crash site can be viewed at:
http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/pages/peakdistrict/peakdistrict44-61999.htm
'Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you without asking. If he does not, why humiliate him?'"

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
Thanks for putting that link on Walzuk, I wasn't aware there were so many aircraft casualties. I certainly remember the Anson MK1 on Kinder Scout, an area that obviously quite a few planes came down in.

It seems over the years there has been a lot of dedication by interested parties and they've done a brilliant job of collecting together the names, ranks and photographs of the airmen.
In the early 80s all we had was a small booklet showing nowhere near as many crash sites.

The Anson mentioned above was the first we came across and we could have missed it easily among the undulating peat bogs.

The website must now be a wonderful scource of information for the families who are researching their genealogy.

Well done and thanks again.

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
I was in a most fortunate position, as the Manager/C.F.I. of the Booker Gliding Club, with many R.A.F.L links locally, and nation wide,  whenever I got the chance to get in to ANY  of the revamped war planes, and add it to my log book ,I would grab it, but must admit, some of the planes were not the best of flying machines, so I think, that apart, from contending with Jerry, there was sometimes an argument between Pilot and Plane to sort out.  All my admiration for the Bods who contended.
Harry