Author Topic: Harry Patch. The Last Fighting Tommy.  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Peter-K

• View Profile
Harry Patch. The Last Fighting Tommy.
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:30:07 PM »
Harry was the last survivor from WW1 and his autobiography was written when he was 110 years old.
Reading his book, this passage stands out as one of the most rational statements by an ordinary soldier I've ever come across on the futility of war.
"By the time I was demobbed I was thoroughly disillusioned. I could never understand why my country could call me from a peacetime job and train me to go out to France and try to kill a man I never knew. Why did we fight? I asked myself that, many times. At the end of the war, the peace was settled round a table, so why the hell couldn't they do that at the start, without losing millions of men?"

Offline Tony673

• View Profile
Re: Harry Patch. The Last Fighting Tommy.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:02:11 AM »
The people who start wars generally don't fight them. Bring back the days when our leaders led us into battle.

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
Re: Harry Patch. The Last Fighting Tommy.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
Hear Hear !and then say it over and over, If the ones at the top, were not at the back , but in the front, things might be quite different.
A Battle to the death for 6 years,  and a very few later ,bosom friends, and in unison agin some other country/religion/or whatever.
Stupid  `umans....
AND its always the same pattern ... VERY stupid   `umans .
Harry