Author Topic: Bring Back any Memories?  (Read 2350 times)

ppp

Bring Back any Memories?
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'  'We didn't have fast food, it was slow food in was a place called 'home, Mum had to shop every day except Sunday for fresh food, hardly anyone had a fridge or freezer. She cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

And here are some other things about my childhood.

Most parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course,  travelled out of the country or had a bank account.

Parents didn't drive their children to school because few people had cars. I had a second hand bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and it only had one speed (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 15.  It was, of course, black and white with a 12" screen and we didn't own it, my parents rented it from Radio Rentals. and the single station went off the air at 10 PM after playing the national anthem and epilogue. Programmes would be interrupted by an interval that showed a pair of hands making a clay pot on a potter's wheel.

All newspapers were printed with just black ink, delivered by boys and most boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week.  He had to get up at 6am every morning. Bottled milk with cardboard stoppers was delivered to doorsteps. People left the weeks money on the doorstep on a Friday night for the milkman on Saturday morning, it was never stolen.

There were no trainers, Tee shirts, baseball caps or fancy clothes, we wore plimsolls on our feet with grey woollen socks. Our comics were the Dandy, Beano, Hotspur and Film Fun. All girls had skipping ropes and rubber balls to bounce against a wall while they sang songs. "One alerra two alerra I saw my auntie Clara sitting on a bumptalerra" etc.
Boys had Catapults, Pee-shooters, toy pistols and home made Bows and Arrows. They chased each other around the streets until they were worn out. There were no fat kids.

Very few people had a telephone installed in their home, most people had to walk sometimes 3/4 of a mile to make a phone call and that would be only to call a doctor or fire service. Hardly anyone called the police because crime was so low.     
Apart from on the films, I never saw a real black person until I was called up for National Service. Film stars kissed with their mouths shut, at least, they did in the films.  All movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

I never heard of a gay, prostitute, lesbian or deviant until I was 18.
A murder happened very rarely in the country and it became national news. Police walked or cycled around their area, they all wore a whistle on a small chain in their breast pocket and they all had a large wooden truncheon in a special pocket of their trousers. They kept law and order by being allowed to smack a young offender.
I was smacked once by a policeman using his rolled up cape which they all had during wet weather, I was just 12, I never told my parents because I would have got another smacking. I always respected the law afterwards.
Everyone knew their neighbour and they all helped each other unlike today where some people do not speak to the person next door.

I think times have changed so much because of greed by people wanting more of everything.
The Sunday Trading act which allowed shops to open on Sundays was instigated by Jewish businessmen such as Marks and Spencer and others who wanted more profit. Their holy day is on a Friday.
Married families split up because partners wanted more freedom and the law changed to allow divorce to happen much easier.

Children have more of everything nowadays and they are unhappy if they don't get what they want.
We had nothing in those days compared to now but it didn't stop us being happy.

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
Re: Bring Back any Memories?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »
You're older than I thought!!

Offline David Jackson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • David Jackson
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 06:49:59 PM »
What the devil are you smoking ppp!  :o

Get out of depressing old Liverpool and back out here to the sun, you're obviously suffering from SAD
Keep the site clean! If you spot a problem somewhere, you can now file a maintenance report online using your ClubCard account: Go to www.LosGallardosLeisure.es, login with your Clubcard number and click "Report Problem"

ppp

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
What you on about Wack! I'm not in Liverpool, haven't lived there for over 50 years.
I'm the last one to get depressed, that state of mind is for loser's who won't get off their backside and face up to life.

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »
I think Colins right PPP, you replies are getting more and more aggressive!! 'Get Back' as your mates said!!!

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
Your dissertation, is most interesting, I think we all, wonder what is happening in the world today, and if we personally are to blame, if blame there be, or if we could have done ANYTHING to change anything at all.
Change is inevitable, BUT ! at one time life was so much slower, that Humans had time to assimilate that change.
BLAME ?    I suppose as the first years of life are with Family, they take a major share ?
Schools, they have from 5 to ????16/18/20/ Plus Years, and must accept some.
I remember  (Sorry about this !)
Infants  5 to 7 Years...  Elementary 7 to 14 Years ..   Leave and work --  UNLESS,  having passed exams etc going on to Grammar or High School.
I left Elementary at 13, to "Technical College" 2 Years,  6 month as `Improver` at Local Generating Coy.
THEN permitted by Father to follow MY chosen path of music.
Infant School---  Manners and Religion  --with  some myth of a Virgin raped by unknown unseen `god` , one child of however many, and born in a Cow Shed, became a saint or god .
Elementary School. every master with a cane (freely used), but we DID learn.  It was called the 3 R,s
Grammar, and High Schools with a reputation of teaching snobbery, and the classics, whatever they might be.
We THEN -----    ALL of us enter the School of LIFE,    Amen
Harry

ppp

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
If you haven't got anything positive to say stingaling, keep your scrawny fingers off my ppp button.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:14:50 PM by ppp »

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 03:46:18 PM »
Even more so!!

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
Hes in Lincolnshire where everythings flat & stinks of cabbage no wonder hes misserable especialy surrouded by all them dykes ! :o
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

ppp

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:37:34 AM »
Hes in Lincolnshire where everythings flat & stinks of cabbage no wonder hes misserable especialy surrouded by all them dykes ! :o

No-one is miserable around here mate, this is the beautiful Fens area of England, full of Cathedrals and wildlife, the place of 10 million flowers, it should be called Miraflores because anyone coming here for the first time can be heard saying 'Look at the flowers'
And if its good enough for Queen Bee down the road at Sandringham, then it's good enough for me and Kell.

Anyway, we've booked the boat and should be back in Gods Waiting Room on the 9th Oct., so watch out all those dissenters, her indoors is primed and ready.

Offline stingkong

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
The truth of the matter is PPP the whole of the UK is beautiful and we would spend more time there but for the weather.
When we go back we stay on the Welsh border, and driving into the Welsh hills on a sunny day cannot be beaten, stunning daffodils everywhere, a lambs leaping into the air, blue skies and white billowy clouds..nowhere better!!

ppp

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »
The truth of the matter is PPP the whole of the UK is beautiful and we would spend more time there but for the weather.
When we go back we stay on the Welsh border, and driving into the Welsh hills on a sunny day cannot be beaten, stunning daffodils everywhere, a lambs leaping into the air, blue skies and white billowy clouds..nowhere better!!

You're becoming a bit more positive now and sounding like a devotee of Wordsworth,
but he was nowhere near Wales when he penned 'A host of golden daffodils'

Your Olympic condom posting is a bit limp.

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
Limpness is due to ageing,  `orrible effect on Luv Life !
Harry