Author Topic: A Liverpool Poem, sadly not mine  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Galty mountain

• View Profile
Re: A Liverpool Poem, sadly not mine
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:04:33 PM »
You got me there, 'ppp' 'goree piazzas'. Are they related??? :D 

ppp

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 07:09:24 PM »
The Gor?e Piazza warehouses on the Strand were built about 1793, (about the time of the slave trading) a massive and beautiful building.
Sadly they were demolished in the 1950s to make way for a planned bypass which never materialized.

It was named by the shipping merchants who paid for its construction, Gor?e  being an island off West Africa near Senegal.

And the three Graces are the 3 large buildings at the Pier-head, Liver building, Cunard Building and India building. They have spent millions redeveloping all that area just recently and it's now a big tourist attraction.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:13:33 PM by ppp »

Offline Galty mountain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Yes i'v been in the 'Liver building', a beauty that!! once in the Foyer a person can look right up through that glass dome on top.
It's come on a treat around there, should now knock down 'Wigwam'!! too, what a sight!!!
Great Museum there by 'Docks' where they used to unload the slaves.  Mock up of the inside of the ships which transported them.
Well done Liverpool.

ppp

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
As a boy, I loved to go into the Cunard building where in the foyer, was a large collection of magnificent scale models in glass cases of many of their liners, Mauritania, Coronia, Queen Mary etc, The White Star line. The skills and workmanship in those days was extraordinary, sadly in today's world, there isn't much pride around in the workplace.

ppp

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »
should now knock down 'Wigwam'!!

Paddy's Wigwam! now there's a folly if ever I saw one, built from the pennies put on the collection plates by the worlds lost souls of a dying fad...religion.

The sooner all such like buildings are demolished, the better.

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Afraid my only memory is of the Broad Green Hospital, where the staff, and local people, looked after those of us, there after the
D.Day `DO`.   I have to say the kindness and the generous nature of all those I met , said a great deal for `Scousers`, and my and my Families THANKS  for all of it .
Harry