Author Topic: Malta  (Read 2179 times)

ppp

Malta
« on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
I just came back from a weeks holiday in Malta and picked up a book there called:

?The Great Siege Malta 1565? by Ernle Bradford.

The story turned out to be a fascinating true account of conflict between Islam and Christianity. Malta was attacked in 1565 by the Sultan of Turkey with 200 ships and 40,000 men but the six or seven hundred Knights of St.John, with some 9000 men, defended the little island during one of the most famous and crucial sieges in history
If the Knights had lost, we would now all be praying on our knees facing Mecca.

What made the book more interesting to me was being able to walk around the castles and defences of Valletta which are over 500 years old and where thousands of lives were lost during the four month long siege. The Turks lost between 25,000 and 30,000 men.

I found Malta to be a place steeped in history and populated by friendly, sophisticated and warm hearted people who all speak English. In fact all vehicles are right hand drive and they drive on the left the same as the UK. I saw some red pillar boxes bearing Queen Victoria's initials near the Grand Harbour.

Many famous people have made Malta their home and not surprising, the tax burden is quite low. If one buys a house, there is a 3% levy on the purchase then nothing to pay afterwards such as council tax. However now that they are part of the EU, there's no knowing what will happen in the future.

If there is one place in Europe that I felt very much at home and comfortable in, it is Malta.

Offline harry

• Amiable unless proveked
    • View Profile
    • Harry
Re: Malta
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
Religion, has ALWAYS fermented `bovver` ,since time immemorial, so what has changed ?  NOTHING !.
Every page of every paper, and every newscast carries , the furtherance of ,
of every sort of mayhem, that can be thought up.
The name has NO significance, the Human will to do damage prevails, as ever >
Harry

Offline McScouser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
?

Offline harry

• View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
Regarding   ?      Look at any and every news cast.
All/Any evidence needed to make judgement, clearly, and most readily available, `History` in the making, all the time the clock ticks.
Harry

Offline Galty mountain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
Many religious people dont realise when they are praying in their churchs that they are bowing to the East! mostly all churchs face East faceing into the Rising Sun, mostly all headstones are facing East as well, this stems from Sun worship, Ie; Sunday,!! bowing to the life giver the Sun!! Monday-- moon-day!! Saturday--saturn-day! IT WILL COME FROM THE EAST???? ;D

ppp

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
Churches in the United Kingdom mostly face towards Jerusalem which happens to be east from us.
There are many Christian churches around the world that face North, East, South and West from their respective positions but they are mostly oriented towards Jerusalem, the seat of Christianity.

Offline Galty mountain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:09:54 AM »
Re; Facing towards Jerusalem as 'Seat of Christianity' thats a new one on me!!, because it was in 'ANTIOCH of Syria' that the name
'Christian' originated first!. And the catholics had their start in constantinoble in Turkey, around the year 300 ad. But i take your point PPP, Good point made.!!

ppp

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
Nice one Galty,

This thread is becoming quite interesting, amazing what knowledge we glean from the web:
I didn't say Christian I said Christianity.

Christianity began as a Jewish sect in the mid-1st century. Originating in the eastern Mediterranean coast of the Middle East (modern Israel and Palestine), it quickly spread to Syria, Mesopotamia, Asia Minor and Egypt

Offline harry

• View Profile
    • Harry
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:29:39 AM »
My big wonder, is,  what religions were available prior to the year dot, I mean there were no Bibles, Torahs, Korans, or any Instructions as to who to pay your money to, ?  whatever did people DO ? Must have been a big worry ?
Harry

Offline cointreau

• voice of reason in the wilderness of life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
you brought back happy memories of holidays i had in malta,  had a time share in bugibba bay, taught all the kids to swim there in the early eighties, happy memories of walking round the corner to see all the old buses parked up and the rides to valletta, with all their religeous stuff in the front of the buses, brilliant people with the kids, not many sandy beaches, but we used to drive up to golden sands in the north, told about a tree on the way to the silent city of mdina, just like the crucifixion, do they still have the horse and carriages in valletta ?  well done happy memories